Getting your hunting license is just the beginning — most newly licensed hunters still need a lot of guidance to figure out what they’re doing.
For them, California Waterfowl offers a number of events where instructors will walk them through what they need to learn and mentors will help them hunt. In many cases, loaner gear including firearms and specialized clothing will be available. There is a strong emphasis on safety – we help you build safe gun-handling habits!
If you haven’t gotten your license yet, you’ll need to complete hunter education – we have workshops for that, too. Go to hunter ed events.
Fun shoots (1-day)
- Usually held twice a year in the summer (in 2018, June 9 and Aug. 26) at Grizzly Ranch in Solano County.
- For ages 8+, with adult supervision for minors
- Participants who are novices can learn shotgun, rifle and archery with all equipment provided, while experienced shooters can try the ranch’s challenging* sporting clays course (click here to see video of the course)
- Non-toxic shot is required and is sold at the events for $10 per box
* This is what we mean by challenging:
Level 2 hunter camps (5-day)
- Camps are held three times a year at Grizzly Ranch in Solano County in the summer (2018 camps have concluded).
- Participants sleep in tents
- For ages 10-17
- Camps feature fishing, shooting, archery, hunting skills and duck banding
Women’s Pheasant Hunt (1-day)
- Held once a year at Hastings Island Hunting Preserve (in 2018, on Oct. 13)
- For women 18+
- Mentored hunt in the morning
- Lunch included
- Afternoon trap shoot
- Dinner at CWA’s nearby Denverton duck club – optional overnight lodging included
Novice Women’s Duck Hunt—Upper Butte Basin (3-day) – WAITLISTED
- Nov. 2-4, 2018
- Workshop and hunt in the Upper Butte Basin
- Lodging at Bird Haven/Casa de Patos
- For women who have hunted ducks 0-5 times
- Women may attend for two consecutive years
- Shooting instruction and sessions on duck calling, duck ID, duck plucking, duck processing and duck cooking
- Hunt in pairs at one of three prestigious clubs: Little Dry Creek Farm, Closed Zone Farms or Mom’s
- $300 – includes lodging, meals, hunts
Mentored women’s duck hunts
Overnight hunts – dinner, followed by morning hunt, then lunch
All experience levels welcome, but guides and gear are available for novices
Individuals may hunt at one of the two Suisun Marsh hunts offered, and one of the two Delta hunts offered
Novice Women’s Duck Hunt—Grizzly Ranch – NEW!
- Dec. 14-16, 2018, at Grizzly Ranch
- For women ages 21+ who have hunted ducks 0-5 times
- Workshops on hunting and game processing skills
- Saturday and Sunday morning hunts at CWA’s Grizzly Ranch in Solano County.
- Participants must already have a valid hunting license and required stamps/validations.
- Individuals may attend two consecutive years.
- $300 – includes lodging and meals
Duck Camp (3-day)
- Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2018 and Jan. 18-20, 2019
- Workshops, lodging and hunt at Grizzly Ranch in Solano County
- For ages 10+ (with adult supervision)
- Includes workshops on hunting skills and game processing
- Includes duck hunts on Saturday and Sunday mornings
Throughout hunting seasons, California Waterfowl’s Hunt Program offers a variety of mentored or guided hunts perfect for newer hunters.