Women’s participation in hunting and fishing in America is growing rapidly, fueled in large part by their desire for healthy, free-range meat and outdoor activities that can include the whole family.
But women’s participation still lags behind men’s. California Waterfowl’s Becoming an Outdoors-Woman program helps address that deficit with a wide variety of events for novice outdoorswomen in supportive environments, as well as events for women of all experience levels.
For novice events, gear – including firearms – is provided. The camradery happens all on its own!
A successful hunt or fishing trip is just the beginning; what do you do once you have the fish, duck or wild boar in hand? BOW knows women want answers to that question, so our workshops and hunts place a heavy emphasis on learning how to process and cook game.
We also address issues such as how to choose a shotgun, and where to find women’s outdoor clothing and gear.
Equally important: Participants and instructors stay connected with one another long after the events where they meet, forming a network of hunting and fishing buddies to last a lifetime. For many women, these networks are the hunting family they never had.
You can reach Becoming and Outdoors-Woman Coordinator Sarahbeth Gonsalves at 559-972-3441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WOMEN’S EVENTS AND CLASSES
Women’s Shooting Clinic and Sporting Clays (1-day)
The 2018 event has concluded! Check back in January for the 2019 event date.
- Held each spring at CWA’s Grizzly Ranch in Solano County
- All experience levels welcome
- Guns, ammunition, targets, and ear and eye protection are provided
- Shotgun, rifle and archery taught by trained instructors
- More experienced shooters can try our challenging clays course (50- or 100-target packages)
- Includes lunch and wild-game tasting
Women’s Multi-Course Weekend (3-day)
This is the workshop that has come to define BOW – a three-day extravaganza of outdoor skills and camradery at CWA’s Grizzly Ranch in Solano County. The 2018 camp will be held April 27-29 and will include:
- Hunter education
- Leather work
- Bowhunting certification (required to bowhunt in some states)
- Wildlife art
Women’s Fly Fishing Retreat (3-day) – WAITLISTED
- Annual event
- Held at GreenHorn Creek Guest Ranch in Quincy
- Next retreat is May 4-6, 2018
- Gear provided, with an option to purchase your own
- Learn fly fishing skills
- Fish some of the best waters in California
Women’s Halibut and Striper Fishing Trip (1-day) – NEW THIS YEAR! –WAITLISTED
- California Dawn excursion on San Francisco Bay (launching out of Berkeley Marina)
- Next trip is June 2, 2018
- Fishing gear provided
- Breakfast and lunch provided, including fresh halibut ceviche demo
- Optional overnight lodging
Women’s dove hunt (1-day) – NEW IN 2018!
- September 8 in the Fresno area – exact date and location to be determined
- For women 21+
- Mentors will help participants get the hang of shooting these fast-moving birds
- Dove feast will follow the hunt
Stay tuned for registration!
Women’s Pheasant Hunt Weekend – INCLUDES HUNTER ED
- Held at Birds Landing in Solano County each September
- Next event is Sept. 29-30, 2018
- Gear provided
- Overnight lodging optional
- Complete hunter ed
- Get shooting instruction
- Hunting license included
- Go on your first hunt
Looking for more Hunter Ed events? Click here.
Women’s Pheasant Hunt (1-day with overnight option)
- Morning hunt at Hastings Island Hunting Preserve in Solano County
- Next event is Oct. 13, 2018
- Mentors/guides provided for novice hunters
- Lunch included
- Afternoon trap shoot
- Dinner at CWA’s nearby Denverton duck club – overnight lodging included
Registration coming soon!
Novice Women’s Duck Hunt (3-day)
- November Workshop and hunt for already-licensed hunters in the Upper Butte Basin
- Lodging at Bird Haven/Casa de Patos
- For women who have done little to no duck hunting
- Shooting instruction and sessions on duck calling, duck ID, duck plucking, duck processing and duck cooking
- Hunt in pairs at one of three prestigious clubs: Little Dry Creek Farm, Closed Zone Farms or Mom’s
Registration coming soon!
We also have mentored women’s duck hunts that include overnight lodging – check back closer to duck season!